top of page
At what stage in criminal proceeding can an accused, victim invoke sec 91 CrPC - Answered
Special Police Establishment Vs Umesh Tiwari and another
Madhya Pradesh HC
M.Cr.C. No. 60404 of 2021
About/from the judgment:
The High Court answered significant questions related to Section 91 of CrPC which deals with Summons to produce documents or other things. Essentially, the Bench of Justice Sheel Nagu and Justice Sunita Yadav examined as to when can an accused as also a victim, invoke this Section during a criminal proceeding and held as below:
1. An accused cannot invoke Section 91 Cr.P.C. during pendency of investigation.
2. However, an accused can invoke Section 91 on and after the filing of charge-sheet.
3. Section 91 can also be invoked by the other stakeholders i.e. victim and also prosecution.
4. Court can also invoke Section 91 Cr.P.C. suo moto.
5. All the above invocation by any stakeholder is subject to satisfaction of the Court about desirability and necessity of the document sought to be produced.
Read the Judgment
Knowledge and content of about almost all their respective descriptions are borrowed from law-related blogs and websites, we, therefore, wish to give proper credit to all the respective law-related blogs and websites like LiveLaw, Bar and Bench, LatestLaws, PathLegal, FirstLaw, Lawctopus, IndianKanoon, Manupatra, LegallyIndia etc.. Many of the judgments are also taken from them websites of Hon'ble Supreme Court and other respective Hon'ble High Courts!