top of page
Relationship through Facebook- Bail granted to person accused of rape on false promise to marry
Shekhar Garg Vs The State
BAIL APPLN. 1940/2019
About/from the judgment:
The High Court has granted bail to a person who was accused of having a physical relationship with a woman on a false pretense of marriage.
A plea for bail was filed as the petitioner was accused of offences under sections 376 and 506 of the Indian Penal Code. The respondent woman had alleged that the petitioner had befriended her through Facebook and then entered into a physical relationship with her on the false promise to marry, which he subsequent refused.
Counsel for the petitioner submitted that the petitioner has been falsely implicated. He submitted that even as per the FIR there was a substantial delay in lodging the complaint and further that the averments in the FIR suggest that the relationship was consensual.
The court was satisfied with the case of the petitioner for bail, and hence, granted him regular bail upon furnishing a bail bond of Rs 25000. It also laid down the following conditions:
- Petitioner shall not do anything which may prejudice either the trial or the prosecution witnesses.
- Neither the petitioner nor his family members shall contact the complainant or her family.
- Petitioner shall not leave the country without the permission of the Trial Court.
- Petitioner shall surrender his passport, if any, to the Investigating Officer, if not already done so.
- The Investigating Officer shall share her as well as the telephone number of the SHO, Police Station Geeta Colony with the complainant, who may contact them in case of any apprehension.
Read the Judgment
Knowledge and content of about almost all their respective descriptions are borrowed from law-related blogs and websites, we, therefore, wish to give proper credit to all the respective law-related blogs and websites like LiveLaw, Bar and Bench, LatestLaws, PathLegal, FirstLaw, Lawctopus, IndianKanoon, Manupatra, LegallyIndia etc.. Many of the judgments are also taken from them websites of Hon'ble Supreme Court and other respective Hon'ble High Courts!
Formats for use
bottom of page